Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Southern Love


This is Mrs Chops. She is one of the many obstacles in bush golf. Actually that's not quite true, we award extra points for the accidental hitting of livestock with a golf ball. Don't worry their wool is thick, no harm done I promise. Bush golf is one of my favorite things about spending time in the Margaret River region in South Western Australia. My Aunt and Uncle built a 9 hole golf course across the paddocks on their beautiful rural property. The clubs are rusty, the ground uneven and golfing skills really have little to do with things. You can hit what seems like a great shot until it lands in a pile of alpaca poo and rolls into the fire break. Then there is the "green" (it's more brown) that has been dug up by all the kangaroos... We have a good laugh though and finish up with sunset beers on the balcony.


My other favorite thing about being South is the surf. I had been out of the water for a few weeks and it felt so good to get some waves again. Even though it's summer the waves were a fun consistent 3 feet, and if I got up around 4am and hit the beach early there were no crowds. The picture below is of a fun little West Oz peak with only 2 guys out. After everywhere I have been around the world I still think some of the most beautiful beaches in the world are here, with the most amazing soft white sand and bright blue water. The only bad thing was having to drive past 3 major bush fires. Mum made me pack a fire retardant wool blanket and large water container in the back of the jeep. After a week and a half of getting my surf fix I headed about 8 hours inland into the desert for a few days but I'll cover that in my next post. You will just have to wait until then. Here are some pictures from the South West. I am having so much fun being a tourist in my home country :)

































No comments:

Post a Comment