Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Out and About




I vowed to write posts every couple of days. I guess it's only been a bit over a week right? Being away for 3 and a half years means a whole lot of stuff piles up. I want to be a kid again so I never have to do any paper work! Since being home I think I have only spent about one week in Perth. I can't help it, down South is just so damn lovely. I also had a bit of true Aussie outback time up in Kalgoorlie a few weeks ago visiting my good friend Jacci and her kiddies. My mum came along with me. She grew up on a sheep farm not far from there and gets all stoked to go inland. Me, I feel like a fish out of water, but there is definitely a certain charm and presence about the Australian bushland. The 8 hour drive I could have done without though. You can just drive and drive for hours out there and it's all so still and quiet. We drove in a back way and had the jeep stocked with water and supplies just in case we broke down. Recently in the area a guy died when his truck got bogged and he tried to walk for help in the heat of the day with no water. That's how unforgiving the land can be for those who come unprepared.

Kalgoorlie was just as I remembered, hot and red. And full of poisonous stuff. On the drive back home we stopped at an old dam in the middle of nowhere for a swim. At least there is some water, and no crocodiles! I stopped for a walk along the water pipeline that runs beside the road just like I used to as a kid on our desert camping trips.


In summer Perth is flat like a big fat pancake. I did score a little cyclone swell which apparently lit up the Margaret River surf region like a big happy christmas tree (check out the pics at http://soggybones.com/taming-the-temptress-bianca/ ). I got there a day late. Last Sunday I headed North of Perth to a little town called Lancelin which is known for its sand boarding and surf. We scored some fun windy little waves and the stretch of beach, accessible only by 4 wheel drive, was so beautiful. Miles of perfect white sand, crystal clear blue water and hardly any people. But for now I am up here in Perth taking care of business and getting ready to start studying again. I've been working a few laboring shifts as a removalist, not sure how good I look in a fluro tradies shirt and over sized shorts but hey, whatever pays the bills! I am also still living off a consistent diet of meat pies and lamingtons. Gotta love Australia!



No comments:

Post a Comment