Sunday, March 17, 2013

Royce Gracie = The Man



It's not my normal assignment. If you haven't already noticed I'm usually pretty surf oriented. However last weekend I took a break from the ocean to document UFC champ and Jiu-Jitsu master Royce Gracie.

Shooting Royce's seminar I was expecting all kinds of intense UFC gnarly fighting moves, but I was pleasantly surprised. A lot of his teachings are based around self defence - the art of brining your opponent down without ever needing to throw a punch. As a solo woman traveler I have decided this is DEFINITELY something I should be learning, how to get away fast in an emergency situation. Fingers crossed I'll never have to use it, but this stuff is awesome. Royce was a top bloke too with a great sense of humour. I'll be looking him up next time I hit California for some proper self defence tutorials! 

UFC champion? No worries. I got this. 








No comments:

Post a Comment