Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I'm in the JUNGLE


Well hello there Amazon River!

I've seen plenty of jungles before right? Costa Rica, Hawaii, Panama, Samoa to list a few... but they all pale in comparison to this one - the one and only AMAZON! Seriously I feel like I'm ticking something so major off my bucket list, like a place you dream about as a little kid.

You don't realize the enormity of the Peruvian Amazon until you see it from the air. The thing is huge. I wonder how many tourists have disappeared in there?

Right now I'm spending my first night in Iquitos on the edge of the Amazon river. It's the largest city in the world not linked by roads, you can only get in by flight or boat. It's cool and all but after 5 weeks in Lima I'm pretty well citied out. I can see the wilderness right there, but the question is, how do I get in it? Being a major tourist hub there are all kinds of over priced sight seeing tours, but I'm looking for a different kind of experience. Here's hoping I can find it.

I really want to see a sloth. And an anaconda. Oooh and a pirahna!

Iquitos



No comments:

Post a Comment