Friday, February 1, 2013

Flying in Kauai




Hands down the best way to do a surf check. When flying lowing enough you can actually see the little surfers on their tiny boards clear as day. Yesterday I was lucky enough to be brought along on a scenic flight in Kauai, Hawaii.

Our plane was a little six seater and I got to ride as co-pilot. Last time I co-piloted I actually flew the plane, but this time the closest I came was accidentally bumping the controls while trying to take photos. Flying in Kauai is pretty treacherous though, with tons of mountains and thermal air pockets making for a bumpy ride. For the last half hour I was a miserable motion sick mess, 10 more minutes and I would have thrown up for sure!

I had NO idea what lies in the interior of Kauai, and it was SO cool. Hundreds of untouched, unreachable waterfalls, pristine canyons, valleys, rivers and craters. It was unlike anything I've ever seen. We even flew right over the wettest place on the earth - Mount Waialeale. Then to top it all of we even got to see whales jumping from the air. I don't think my stomach would allow me to do it again, but it was still an unreal experience. I've now decided the best way to check the surf is by air. Someone get me a plane and a pilot!!!

Hanalei Bay surf check

Well hello there baby hellicopter!

Poipu from the air.




Hidden interior waterfall. 
Flying anyone?
The beautiful Napali coastline.

1 comment:

  1. Great photo's chic :)
    What an amaazing place, i've wanted to go there every since i met Nikki from Surf Science. Her Dad lives there somewhere and the stories she told me sounded awesome. My friends just got back recently and loved the healthy happy vibe there :)

    Good luck with your adventures and keep the stories comming

    Bec x

    ReplyDelete