Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cameras for Dummies

Me and my 7D in Hawaii. Photograph courtesy of Dave Gregerson
Buying my first real camera was a very very daunting experience. I spent this year at film school, which sort of prepared me, but the reality of camera ownership was a bit overwhelming. I, in my usual chaotic disorganised fashion, only got my camera a few weeks before flying out to Hawaii for work. Future note to self, buy your equipment WELL in advance. I remember taking the camera out of the box for the first time and wanting to crawl in a hole and cry. It was so big, there were so many buttons!

My camera and I had a few initial hiccups working together here on Hawaii. I pressed a few wrong buttons, it got upset. I somehow set the shutter so it would take around 20 seconds to take a picture, then it would be all neon and fuzzy. I stayed up until 1am crying trying to read the manual and fix it before I gave up and went to sleep.

But now as my 10 day work stint on Oahu comes to a close I look at my camera with lots of love. It's so big and shiny and the buttons (there are still so many!) aren't quite as scary... I'ts sitting here with me now, and I have to say it's about the best purchase I've ever made.

Conducting a video interview with Roxy team rider Vanina Walsh

For those of you interested in camera gear, I have a Canon 7D. It's a great multi purpose camera, it takes great stills and has really good HD video too. For accessories I have a Hoya CPL and a Marumi UV filter, but I think my most valuable accesory purchase was a Rode shotgun mic. I got it from here:
http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/1456/rode-videomic-shotgun-microphone-1-rodvm.html
and it was $140 well spent. I also bought a couple of 16GB memory cards, I have found it's much better to get the bigger size ones, that way when you are doing a full day of shooting you don't have to worry about constantly changing cards. An extra battery is also absolutely essential, as is a good tripod. I made the mistake of buying a really flimsy tripod, and will be spending the extra money now for a good quality one. When a tripod isn't solid you're shots are wobbly.

I want to say a BIG thank you to all the people who have helped me with my camera, from figuring out buttons and settings to deciding what gear to buy. You guys know who you are (especially Dave, Fiona and Brendon)! Big mahalos and aloha from Hawaii,  I can't wait to share all my new video projects soon! xox


Putting my camera to good use, Waimea Bay at sunset

Shooting Pipeline has to be one of the most fun things in world (for me anyway!)

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're getting the hang of your camera, Tia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow progress Lisa but I'm getting there. Thanks Eddie :) just wait until I edit together the video footage!

    ReplyDelete