Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Day with Vanina

Vanina SUPing at one of her local breaks on Oahu

My photographer Dave Gregerson and I were sent on assignment to shoot and spend some time with teen surfer Vanina Walsh for the next issue of WSSM (Women's Surf Style Magazine). Vanina is a total cutie, an all round water baby, and she's just been signed as a professional Roxy team rider. What makes Vanina so unique though is her talent for not only one specific area of surfing, but her ability to excel at just about everything! She short-boards, longboards, standup paddle boards, skateboards, paints and even sews, all while still working on her high school education from home!

Vanina cruising her local streets. Photograph courtesy of Dave Gregerson (www.20foot.com)

When meeting with a surfer for an interview I'm always a bit nervous. Vanina met up with us on the West side of Oahu for a surf shoot, accompanied by her parents, and they instantly made me feel at ease. The whole family was super friendly and even invited Dave and I into their home for a lifestyle shoot.

I'm looking forward to telling Vanina's story in full, it's a pretty incredible one. Without giving away too much I'll share with you that she spent her first 10 years of life living in Arizona trying to practice surfing in her swimming pool! Now that is dedication!




2 comments:

  1. Such nice words and photos! Thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete