Monday, April 9, 2012

Into the Jungle



So I was bumming around in Dominical, Costa Rica, when by chance I discovered a cool guy by the name of Kyle. Kyle is around my age and has just built and opened his very own jungle hostel with his best friend Brain. Situated in the remote Osa Peninsular, Celvante Jungle Hostel (and I'm not exaggerating) is the best place I've found in Central America. The boys are two of the funniest blokes you'll ever meet and the place is just stunning. The hostel is still a work in progress, right now they are trying to fundraise for solar power so they can stop relying on an unfriendly generator. Because of the remote location the guys will come pick you up from the Puerto Jimenez bus stop, or you can catch a $5 taxi up there. It's about a 15 minute walk to the main road where you can then hitch a ride to the local surf breaks. And there are GOOD waves out there.

For only $10 a night you get free coffee and pancakes in the morning, and the cabinas only sleep four people so it feels like private accommodation. Plus their cat just had kittens. Really, do I need to say anything more? I spent a week up there working for the guys taking photos and video, and I can't wait to go visit them again.

To get in touch with the guys, email them  at celvantejunglehostel@gmail.com or give them a call on
506 86693061

Family portrait. Brian on the left, Theo the dog in the middle, Kyle and Jeremy the cat on the right.

Brian teaching me to harvest bananas. Can I please keep the boots?


Louis the 17yr old English bartender. The boys found him drinking at a local Costa Rican bar and recruited him. Really smart cookie - great for late night political discussions. Will also pour you a good strong rum drink. 


The dorm rooms. Not too shabby huh? 

Hooligans. Here is the wheel pump that supplies the hostel's water.



3 comments:

  1. Cool post, Tia! Need more wave pics though...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post and great pics!..
    Sure beats roaming the GHD office corridors!...
    Thankfully I can live a little by proxy through your blog.
    Take care on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha thans Steve! I'd like to say I miss office life... I do miss the people though :)

    ReplyDelete