Sunday, April 29, 2012

Peru, I'm in love.


Evening Peruvian sessions.

We got off to a rocky start. Flight delayed by six hours, I think it took more than 30 hours of travel to finally reach our Peruvian destination. Luckily Taca hooked us up with a sweet overnight hotel. Even if only for six hours it was still pretty darn good, and included a complimentary three course dinner. I could get used to this work trip thing.

Flying with the flu blows. I spent many hours curled up trying to sleep, body aching and nose running. At one point during descent I thought my head was going to explode. My ears wouldn't equalise and there was air coming out my eyeballs. No fun.

It was worth it though. It's different here with a very barren landscape, almost like home in Western Australia. We have been rising early for dawn patrols and surfing alone in the glassy mornings. Resort life is such a treat too. Used to staying in the most lowly budget accommodations, I'm on cloud nine. Check out the place I'm in now - Samana Chakra. Pure luxury. http://www.samanachakra.com/

Yesterday I shot surfing around sunset. Within a minute I had a whole bevy of locals around me checking out my camera gear. They all whipped their old phones out and started taking pictures with me. In return I took portraits of them. Only one guy had an email address and I promised to send him all the pictures, they were so excited. It was the best experience I've ever had with my camera. Everyone here is so friendly. Check out their pic below.



The main break in Mancora is good fun. Not too big at the moment but still super playful. It’s a left (naturally) with great shape - a little point break that wraps along the beach. Crowd factor is a bit brutal though. Since it’s small it’s a breeding ground for learners and surf lessons. Yesterday every good wave I caught someone dropped in on. It was usually a teeny tiny little kid too. Can’t run those ones over. Their local parents would push them onto the wave, even though I was already on it. What can you do? It was like playing “dodge the kid”.

Yesterday while our group was sleeping I paddled out by myself. All the locals were so friendly. By the time I paddled back in I had about 10 new friends and an invite to a birthday party. Maybe the little bikini I was wearing had something to do with it.

We have one more night at Samana Chakra, then it’s off to a different surf resort for two more days. Then we hit up Chicama. That’s what I’m looking forward to, the worlds longest left. I’m ready to cross it off my bucket list. I’m not looking forward to decision making though. I have to decide whether to take my free flight back to LA, or scrap it and stay down here alone. Just me, my painfully large amount of luggage and my constantly dwindling bank account…

I haven't been this happy in a long time. The kind of happiness that overwhelms you from the core of your being. Peru, I'm in love.



Impromptu beach jams 


My room. Not too shabby.

Because everybody needs an infinity pool.


No comments:

Post a Comment