Friday, May 18, 2012

Cuba Parts



A few months have passed since my trip to Havana, but I still think about my friends there often. Cuba got under my skin and I can't seem to shake it.

Right now I'm trying to get the surfers of Havana a new graphics card for their computer. It's broken, and the computer is their lifeline - it's used to co ordinate the visits of international surfers and donations. Getting them the part is challenging because of two things:
1). The computer (like everything else in Cuba) is old.
2). Nothing gets into Cuba via mail.

I have to find the next person visiting Cuba and send them the part to take in their luggage. This card will aslo allow the computer to run editing software, which the surfers can use to edit pictures and videos to help share their stories...

So, is anyone going to Cuba soon? Let me know!

I can't wait to go back and visit again. Next time I'll be prepared. I'll take the time to fundraise properly, be more organised and definitely won't need to be rescued by the Canadian Embassy. I have so much amazing video footage from my trip to edit together, but it's going to take time. So for now here's a clip by my fellow Aussie Blair Cording created from his recent visit to Havana. He founded (along with the head of Cuban surfing Eduardo) the Royal 70 non profit organisation to help the surfers and skaters of Cuba. http://www.royal70.net/

Here is their story.







mi familia Cubana de surf

No comments:

Post a Comment