Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Gold. Absolute Gold.



Wow I just had the best discovery. Seriously made my whole day, even my entire month. Check it out. A Surfing magazine from 1990. I'm staying at a little guest house in Punta Hermosa just south of Lima. In amongst a pile of old magazines there it was, staring at me in all its fluoro glory.

The cover was epic. The smiling surfer, clad in a brightly coloured wetsuit with his hands ecstatically raised in the tube. Quick someone give me a double high five! And each page just got better and better. Tacky plastic brightly coloured watches, electro sunglasses and the bikinis... oh the bikinis. It even had Kelly as a grom, and Kalani Robb as an up and coming 12 year old.

But the most interesting part was a small article entitled "Beach Girls: Women and Surfing". It features comments from various pro surfers on the development of the women's professional surf scene. The scary part? All the comments could have been from today. Have a read and see what you think.





No comments:

Post a Comment