Monday, June 25, 2012

Beach Bums


Walking back from the surf I picked up an ice cream wrapper. It sat soggy and dirty in the sand staring up at me. Carrying it all the way back to the lodge and carefully depositing it in the bin I felt satisfied. Forget a lifetime of using the ocean for my pleasure, this means we're even right?

A few days later I actually got to understand the meaning of a "beach clean up". Northern Peru is a beautiful barren and dusty landscape, but like many other countries its beaches are becoming polluted with washed up trash. Ok I know I'm sounding like a righteous hippie, but this really was a whole lot of fun! I tagged along with Waves (a local NGO here in Lobitos) for their International Surfing Day beach clean up. The best part was getting to meet and hang out with the local kids and families. Living in this little town with my atrociously bad spanish can be isolating sometimes. The crew at Waves have this great ability for breaking down barriers to make things feel like one big crazy family.

The surf today was firing and the best part was surfing with the kids I met at the beach clean up. Language barriers don't mean a thing when you're having fun sharing waves.

Click here to see more about Waves organisation in Northern Peru.
http://www.wavesfordevelopment.org/






How many people fit in your truck?






No comments:

Post a Comment