Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Get Yourself a Guru!





Yoga has not always been my friend. I first tried it in San Diego and was terrible at it. The class was run in an "aerobics yoga" style, with the teacher up the front racing through a regimented set of moves. You could tell she just wanted her pay check and to go home.

Lately my perspective on yoga has done a backflip and it's all because of one little man - Santhanam, my new yoga teacher. I stumbled across him while in Northern Peru, and since coming down to Lima have been attending his classes every day. Except they are not really classes. More of a collaboration of people coming together to practice and learn yoga. It's not easy. Each morning I challenge my mind and body, learning self control, patience and mental stamina. And Santhanams no gentle quiet teacher either, he's a spirited little ball of Indian fieriness. But we wouldn't have him any other way.

I've been writing Santhanam's bio for him. He has been teaching Iyengar yoga for 26 years. Born and raised in India, he studied under H.S. Arum of Prashant Yogashraya in Bangalore before moving to Peru 10 years ago.

Yesterday morning I took my camera to class. It was my first time photographing yoga and I really wanted to capture the spirit there. It's only been 2 weeks but already I'm walking straighter, feeling stronger and have even noticed an improvement in my surfing. Thank you Santhanam!

You can reach Santhanam for lessons in Lima or to organise private workshops anywhere in the world at santhanami@yahoo.com































Kids don't try that one on the left at home. Santhanam, the human pretzel!












4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 % TRUE !
    I imagine the Gods temper, is just like his ! Energy, wisdom and sense of humor. Wish I could have him closer to me, in Costa Rica were I live. Pura Vida Santhanam. Hope to see you soon, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a wonderful write about Santhanam!! :) So glad he is able to touch the lives so many people - internationally with Yoga! Miss u Santhana!! Hope to see u soon! :)

    ReplyDelete